CPAP therapy should be used every night. Your CPAP should go with you on trips. There are some tips to help with your travel:
- Remove Water From The Humidifier. If you are going to take your CPAP humidifier with you, remove ALL water from the humidifier chamber. Water left in the humidifier chamber can be tipped into your machine and cause damage.
- Accompany Your CPAP Through Security. Stay with your CPAP. When going through security, security agents will usually need to inspect the CPAP separately. Ask to stay with the CPAP. This way you can watch them handle the CPAP machine, and you can make sure all of your parts (cords, masks, chambers) get back into the bag.
- Plan Your Power Needs. Know what type of power your CPAP requires. If you are going to use a battery, make sure you have all the parts needed to safely run the CPAP on battery power. If you are traveling abroad make sure you have an international adapter plug.
- Identify Your CPAP as Medical Equipment. To help move through security easier, put a Medical Equipment tag on your CPAP bag.
- Pack Your Power Cord. Just like people commonly leave cell phone chargers at home or in the hotel, we frequently get called from travelers who left their cpap power cord. Check to make sure your cord is packed with your machine.
- Bring Spare Parts and Back Up Mask. Like the power cord, items get left behind or misplaced while on the road. Having backup parts and a back up mask will make sure that you are not caught without equipment.