Travel with CPAP equipment
Sleep apnea treatment doesn’t have to interfere with your travel plans. ResMed masks, machines and accessories are fully portable.
When sleep apnea treatment is needed in-flight, it is recommended that you contact the airline at least two weeks prior to traveling. Follow these recommended preparations:
- Carry a letter from your doctor certifying your need for CPAP treatment.
- Obtain approval from the airline’s Medical Services for use on the flight.
- Carry a copy of the approval letter from the airline if they provide one.
- Carry a copy of ResMed’s statement of FAA compliance letter for ResMed devices.
- Carry a copy of ResMed’s travel letter for assistance in carrying your CPAP device through security and on the aircraft.
- Arrange seating close to a power source on the aircraft.
- Confirm the type of power cord or adapter required by the aircraft.
- The airline has the final approval for in-flight usage.
- Humidifiers should not be used with CPAP devices while on the plane, as water could spill.
- Please note that not all ResMed devices are approved by the FAA.
- ResMed devices run on virtually any power supply in the world without the need for a power transformer.
- However, you will need a plug adapter appropriate for the country you are visiting.
- Plug adapters can be purchased at most electronics and travel stores.
Like camping? No worries, you can still take your machine along with you!
- Your Air10™, S9™, Stellar™, and most S8 machines can connect to an external battery: the ResMed Power Station II (RPS II).
- In addition, this battery provides a backup power for up to 13 hours in case of a power outage or no available outlet.
- The RPS II is intended for single patient re-use in the home environment and multi-patient re-use in the hospital or institutional environment.
You should have the following information with you when traveling
- Your treatment pressure
- Your mask type and size
- Your equipment provider’s contact details
- Your sleep specialist’s contact details
- Your general practitioner’s information
- Your health insurance information